Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Being Happy While on the "Pursuit of Happiness"

I think it's safe to say that college students have a lot on their plates at all times. Being an intern, an employee, and a student, the stress is all too real and my plate is definitely full 7 days a week. I am not a superhuman by any means. If I didn't take certain measures to make sure I am enjoying the ride, I would surely crack under the pressure.
As we get older, life passes us by at a much faster speed it seems. The weeks, days, months all fly by in the blink of an eye. Next thing I know, I am turning a year older without even taking a solid breath since my last birthday. I have learned to cope with my life moving so quickly a few different ways. I'm here to pay it forward and pass it on to you because one time, this one guy said something that turned into an annoying cultural phenomenon...
So here are some things I make sure to do so that I can enjoy life while I'm extremely busy trying to build one:

  • Take a day to sit on the couch and watch episodes of your favorite shows on Netflix (I typically do this on Spring Break or get my homework done extra early one week so that I have a full day off)
  • Take a night off. Go have a drink with friends. Go to a movie by yourself. Do WHATEVER you want with your night. I like to get drinks with my boyfriend and friends and we have a blast.
  • Listen to music while you get ready in the morning-there is nothing better then rocking out in the shower and while you straighten your hair. Sets you up for a great day, every time!
  • Paint your nails (ladies specifically, but guys feel free?!) I always feel so much better about my appearance when I have nice nails. I feel like I'm ready for anything and nail polish is the one beauty item that you don't have to re-apply daily.
  • Don't do your hair on the days you don't have to. If you aren't going somewhere that requires professional dress, just don't do your hair. Save the time, energy, effort, and the damage to your hair for another day. 
  • Take care of yourself. On the days you don't have to leave your house, put your hair in a hair masque (I use coconut oil) and put an exfoliate on your face and show yourself some TLC.
  • Put on lipstick (again, ladies!). You will look as sexy as you feel and it takes about 10 seconds.
  • Get your tasks done early. I know as college students we are the Kings & Queens of procrastination, but I'm telling you that if you get in the habit of doing your tasks early in the week, you will find your stress level significantly lower.
  • Write a list of goals/ambitions/priorities. This makes you feel good as you watch yourself achieve your short term goals and make progress towards your long term ones.
  • Sleep. Go to sleep early. Sleep in on the days you can. You aren't missing anything late at night. If you did what I mentioned previously and have your assignments done early, you won't need to pull all nighters right?
  • Get distracted and sit on Pinterest, Tumblr, StumbleUpon, Wanelo, or any of those good sites that show you beautiful things. 
  • Ignore social media. There's a high chance that the annoying people you went to high school with are still annoying. Enjoy the people right in front of you. Why would you take attention from them to give it to people on social media? 
  • Take a second to acknowledge someone that loves you. Stare at your dog, cat, children, spouse, anyone. Appreciate their love and the fact that they choose to love you. Don't be too busy to let something you love take away your stress and remind you that no matter what you're feeling, there is a living creature that loves you unconditionally.
  • Walk through life knowing that everyone you meet is fighting a great battle of their own. If we were able to see what every other person is going thru, we would realize that our own problems aren't so bad.
Here's the view of my dog while I try to do pilates. How could you not just stop and enjoy that face of love?


No comments:

Post a Comment